Sunday, December 13, 2009

Not part of the herd?

I tried google's new personalize your news page - which is a good thing, if you don't have to keep re-personalizing it.

But I can't quite personalize myself into any one herd type.

I guess, if it were possible, I would tell the search engine:

Find me something new, something I don't know already, some whole new topic, "Amaze me", show me something "Wow!"

Don't show me more of what I've already read about, show me new science, new concepts, something different.

I know that, no matter how much I like a subject, there are only so many new ideas.

At first, UFOs are strange, cool, stories - but after 50 such stories, unless you've got photos of space aliens leaving their UFO and saying "Take me to your leader", then I have heard it before - actually, I've heard that story before too.

With dogs, often the story registers with me only as "Yes, another person understands!"

I'm happy, but it isn't news, it's collecting other people's "How I came to understand that the dog system it not functioning" articles.

Good! but not the adventure it started out to be.

I am totally for people understanding, but I can only do so much.

How often can I say:

Please don't breed dogs to be used in competitive sports or shows.

Please understand that dogs are NOT all the same, select only healthy dogs, who posses instincts that help them be good pets, for breeding stock - do not breed dogs that have instincts which makes them unfit for civilized living.

If you have some use for uncivilized dogs, then when you breed them - please don't sell the extra as pets.

Please understand that quality pets are NOT just left overs from working, hunting, sports, or show litters - being a quality pet is a speciality just like breeding working dogs, or show winners.

Pet puppies should have most of the wolfish instincts bred out of them, and retain the puppy instinct to please.

How can I get that message out better? What more can I say?

More examples of dogs who need a home? Try petfingers.

More examples of dogs who really really really didn't work out? Try dogsbite.

More examples of how there are different lines of dogs in the same breed, and that they are not equally usefully at all tasks? Try retrieverman - his understanding of the split between different types of Golden Retrievers.

More examples of how purebreds, and show dogs are NOT the best idea? Try terrierman.

Want to read of years spent around the purebred dog breeding sub-culture?
Try thepdkc and darlingyouaredoingitwrong.