Friday, December 18, 2009

Dr. Frankenstein & the Pitchforks & Mobs

A few years ago, I had to move and had to choose new homes for my dogs.

I didn't have a computer (and did NOT know all the things a computer could do), and had to use regular means to try to find them homes.

I tried a shelter. Not great. I tried an ad in the paper - disaster. I tried a private rescue - maybe.

Not too happy with what was going on in my area, I drove my favorite dog across country to a 'better' rescue in another state in the belief that he would be in a better situation.

The shelter there was said to be a network of rescuers that took dogs into their homes until they were adopted out.

I was told how they would find my dog a home. I gave them my dog, because they said they were skilled at screening out bad people, and that he would be adopted out with a contract so they could make sure he would be cared for forever.

Later, after I had given them my dog, one of the women, wanted more information about him, so since he was such a nice dog, I was happy to tell her more about him.

Her first question, was if I had bred him myself? and,

Did I own the mother dog at the time that he was born?

I expected this to be followed by questions about his birth, or his color at birth or something, but it was not.

Now, I have read that the laws state that bunchers (people who buy dogs and then re-sell them into experiments) are suppose to only use dogs that they got from the that dog's own breeder (the person who owned the mother dog at the time she was bred).

Now, I have a sick feeling about why she came back to ask me about if I had bred him myself.

Later, she said that he had been shipped to a state to the northeast (of the US).

That bothered me. I know that Canadian show dogs have ear tattoos. And that laws restrict using experimental dogs that are tattooed. (Why hadn't I had him tattooed!!!!!!)

I had heard that across the border, they pay such high money for dogs, that dogs are stolen and sold to research places, like universities, medical places, laboratories, and product testing centers.

And that on this side of the border, in the northeast (New England) the dog pounds have so few small dogs in them, that they import them. (Why?)

I am worried about what has happened to him.

Is he dead? I read that 1 out of 3 dogs used in experiments die during or right after the first experiment.

Was he used, but was one of the 2 out of every 3 who survived?

Was he then found a good home? The laboratories are suppose to find them homes after they use them, if the dog survives.

Was he used, and then re-sold without being permanently marked as an ex-experimental dog, and therefor, re-used again and again?

Did the military use him to test war stuff on?

Did the medical people use him or kill him in their experiment?

Did a University use him to teach their students?

Did some cosmetic company use him to develop new cosmetics for uncaring girls?

I was told that they found homes for dogs. And that they did not have a shelter (kennel building) because they had people with HOMES that each took one, or a few, dogs into their home until they were adopted.

Now, I am so worried about her returning in person just to ask me an import question "Did I breed him myself?"

Or are you one of the people, who would say that I am being too suspicious, that of course a nice dog like that is fine?

Is my dog in a good home, and never was used as an experimental subject?

Now I am doubly worried about dog breeder's contracts (especially from show dog breeders) that say puppies must be neutered, and must be returned to them if the owner can't keep them.

What is a show dog breeder going to do with a dog that is neutered and so can't be bred or shown? And the breeder (not the owner or the person who bought and raised the puppy) is the one who can sell him into research experiments?

I believe the research people should breed their own dogs, ones bred to be good pets, so they can find good homes for the survivors, not rely on bunchers tricking people, and laws that let breeders re-sell pet dogs into such places.